Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Equus 3160 Excellent unit with a couple issues

This is my second Innova scanner. I bought the 3160 mainly for the live-view and triggered capture modes. Overall, it's an excellent unit. I won't bore you with the good (live view and ABS, blah, blah, blah) as the other reviews have covered those points.

IMO, there are a couple of SW design issues with the 3160. First, the unit can't be turned OFF when it's plugged into the car's OBD bus. This is fairly annoying because I don't want the unit iddling in a hot car. i.e. I have to physically unplug the unit before it can be turned OFF. Secondly, when the unit is put into triggered capture mode you can't view live data. This isn't a major deal but still sort of ticks me off. Thirdly, there is intermittent radio noise when the unit is connected to the car OBD bus. Due to these 'nits' I'm giving this unit a 4 start rating but that said, I still highly recommend the unit.

Opps: One additional problem showed up when I tried to download a set DTC triggered data to my computer. First off, it's very lame that the 3160 still uses a serial port and not USB(most laptops don't have serial ports!!!!) and secondly, the PC SW somehow deleted the data within the 3160. JMO, but the SW interface is pretty clunky. I'll still leave the 4 star rating until I can resolve this download issue. If I can't get the unit to download reliably then it aint gonna keep 4 stars. ??? To be continued.

JohnG

No comments:

Post a Comment