Sunday, April 25, 2010

Equus 3160 Works great

I had one of those cheap OBD-II readers that I got in a gold box special a few months ago and when the check engine light went on in my car, it was able to give me the code, but that was about it. No access to any of the additional information (freeze frame) available at the time of the problem. No ability to analyze the engine as it is running, etc.

So I started poking around looking for a good prosumer model (a level above the basic consumer model, but not the full fledged high $$ professional model) and found myself looking at the Equus 3160...

Took the new unit out to the truck and got lots of details on the problem (showing that it was an engine misfire that occurred when the engine was idling - which was one of the signs of a "service-notice warranty extension" problem with my truck model) and I also used it to take a look at a bunch of the system characteristics while the engine was running (mostly auto-geeky kind of stuff, but interesting for me!).

Since I have a GM model (Chevy Colorado) the extended data and ABS data is available (not that there was anything special for me to look at there for me).

I'm glad to have it and now at least have some idea as to what that dang "check engine" idiot light means when it lights up (so I can figure out if it's a problem I want to tangle with or just bring it in for service). You kind of need that because that stupid light goes on for all kind of reasons (even one as simple as leaving your gas cap too loose).

Definitely recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment