Saturday, June 5, 2010

Equus 3160 Innova

I ordered my Equus 3160 scanner a few weeks ago because I got frustrated at the thought of paying the Dealer hundreds of dollar for a repair on my 1998 V.W. Jetta. The scanner picked up 6 codes and right away and I was able to make my own repairs saving myself TONS of money. If you own a late model car or SUV this scanner is just as important to have, as having sockets and wrenches to work on your vehicle. The instructions are VERY redundant and need to be read very carefully. After retrieving the codes from your vehicle you have to remove the OBD2 cable and connect another cable to the scanner to download the info into your computer. I can see where the LARGE parallel port connector on the top of the scanner will wear out after a few years. The cool thing is the support you get from the software. You can build reports on vehicles and for a fee submit your DTC's along with symptoms of the vehicle and get parts lists and repair instructions. The 3160 is a great tool for someone that likes doing it yourself and saving money but, make no mistake, having this scanner (or any scanner) won't make a DIY'er into a ASE mechanic.

No comments:

Post a Comment